Thursday, May 01, 2008

sensory defensiveness

just a quick post here to thank a few people who have helped my sister and i to realize that we're not crazy or 'too picky'- thank you to cousin audrey for first alerting mom and i to the fact that sensory defensiveness is a very real disorder. thank you SO much to mom, who has checked out and renewed the book "too loud, too tight, too fast, too bright" (sharon heller) in an effort to understand what sd really is and what can be done about it... she's the one who relays what she reads and researches to us, and thank goodness for that because i can NOT read something unless it has a story line to keep me focused. because mom cares so much and has taken the time to gather info and look for resources and help, i now feel like a whole new person- literally! just today, i realized that i can finally accept myself for what i am- it doesn't lessen the frustrations or anxieties, but now i know that there is a reason why i am the way i am. i don't have to feel so angry at myself, i can recognize that this is just who i am, quirks and all. self-acceptance, and all thanks to my mom. i can't imagine going through the rest of my life feeling the way i'd been feeling for so long- always angry at myself, on edge, frustrated, having no explanation of why things are how they are, feeling like i was insane. i can't stress enough how lucky i am that i have a mom who cares so much... i hope that i can be the same for my kids. i encourage anyone who reads this post to check out the sensory defensiveness links if you think you, your kids, or someone you know might have it. the information is invaluable, especially since sd isn't very well recognized. so again, thank you so much to those who have helped us recognize what's really going on inside our noggins... :) now, i'm off to try to research a little on kripalu yoga- apparently, some sd people have had a lot of success using it to help them deal with their issues...

6 comments:

Elissa & Logan said...

DITTO. Thank you Lindsay. Are you going to try to make it back to WI for some treatment? I think that I'm going to see if I can stay a little longer when I go in June, and see what we can do then. You're not alone, and neither am I. We have eachother in this! I love you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Lindsay! Found your blog from Aleigh's - it was interesting to read those links on sensory defensiveness! Thanks for sharing em! It's something I had never heard of before! Hope all is going great for you guys!

Anonymous said...

opps! haha, thought it would sign that at the end :-P you get the idea!

Anonymous said...

Hiya! Found your blog through some one's not sure who... but thought I should leave a comment so you knew I was out here reading. :-)

SD...Didn't know such a thing existed. I wiki'd it. Interesting.

Jeff & Aleigh said...

I never knew that existed either!! I am going to try and read more on it!

TruffleLady said...

You're welcome Lindsay! And thanks for a post like this. Let Elissa know it's always amplified when one is pregnant. (Coming from a 38 week pregnant lady who just returned from an outing where I could smell the perfume on someone 4 rows in front of me, the above statement is underlined and highlighted and in bold letters!) I'm going to get that book your mom read from the library to read while I spend some time (post delivery) in bed!

"Cousin Audrey"