Wednesday, March 25, 2009

just curious...

...i'm kind of wondering if any fellow mommies out there still use cloth diapers. i'm debating making one or two to test and if they work i want to make more. i've found several one-size all-in-one designs that seem to have really good reviews, but they're NOT cheap, and it's the start-up cost of this possible venture that has me balking. anyhoo- i realized today that both kids are going to run out of diapers on approximately the same day which means dropping a small fortune (even with coupons) at one lucky walmart in order to keep my wee ones wee-free. i've also noticed the price of diapers s-l-o-w-l-y creeping up and the number of diapers in the packages inching it's way down... not cool. therefore, since i'm at home and doing laundry all day anyway, i'm starting to consider the cloth diaper thing. i know there are rectangular diapers and plastic pants (the old classic) but i also know that those are prone to leaks.
so- anyone have any input on this? have you tried them? did they work or not? maybe someone knows where to get the os-aio's on the cheap? any input would be super-dee-duper! thanks in advance... :)

4 comments:

Shelley said...

I know a lady you might like to talk to. She has 5 little ones.
If you email me mishelle.lord@gmail.com I'll send you her information to contact her.

Dan Seiler Family said...

Lindsay,
We use cloth diapers. I do not recommend an all-in-one as they tend to get smelly and take forever to dry. Pocket diapers are my favorite because they are super easy to use (like an all in one) but you take it apart to wash it, so I think they get cleaner and dry much faster. They are also nice because you can adjust the absorbency by using different inserts. ALSO I really recommend the "one size" pocket diapers because you only have to buy one set, and they'll fit your child from 5-35 pounds or more. They adjust with snaps and it works great! Jake and Morgan can wear the same cloth diapers just by re-snaping the diaper. Diapers that are sold in different sizes really raise the cost of your investment as you have to keep buying more as your child grows.
I know cloth diapers are expensive (we paid about $16 apiece) but if you can make the investment, you truly save tons in the long run (even if you only use them for one child!) I "borrowed" the money from my hubby and then paid him back each month what I would have spent in disposables. In just a few months I had them paid off and am seeing the savings now.
It does take a little more thought to wash them than your regular laundry. And you have to be careful about which soap you use etc. It has taken me awhile to figure out just how to effectivly launder them, and which soap to go with. Also, it is a very good idea to always line-dry diapers to extend their life. In the winter it's tempting to throw them in the dryer, but that is hard on the PUL material and elastic (I throw the inserts in the dryer in winter as they are just towel material.)
Well, sorry to be long winded (I guess I'm passionate about my diapers... you know you're a mom when you get excited about someone's interest in your cloth diapers) :) Hope this helps!

Lindsay said...

thanks megan!! i was looking at the one-size, since it makes more sense than buying 4 or 5 different sizes. i'm going to try to make a pattern out of some old material just as a prototype to see if i really can make my own... if not i'll buy some. there are a few places online that sell pul fabric so i could make about 3 diapers out of one yard... even cheaper yet! thanks again!

Dan Seiler Family said...

A friend of mine has been making her own cloth diapers since seeing how easy mine were to use. She orders all the material online and has tried several different patterns. (I know one set of diapers she made entirely out of old throw-away t-shirts) She also recommended buying JUST the diaper part of the one size pocket diapers (they're around $10-11 apiece) and then making your own inserts out of old towels etc. If I had thought of that way back when I bought mine, I probably would have tried it as that keeps the cost down a bit, without having to find the time to sew (although it would be really rewarding to sew your own too.)