cole's 6-month check-up was today, and of course we had a new doctor... i really wish we had dr h from back home! this one was nice, really enjoyed cole, but seemed very unconcerned about cole's poor sleeping habits and continual spit-up issues. dad suggested, after talking to 'mum' that could it be infant ger (reflux) and that i should ask the doctor. i mentioned both issues- dr's reply was that it's completely normal for babies to spit up until they are at least a year old and as for the sleep (cole's doing about 5 hours a night and maybe an hour total for daytime naps, on average), well, parents aren't supposed to have it easy. hmmmm. either he has no kids or has no clue- either way, he doesn't have something. i guess i'll have to do a little research on infant ger and see what i come up with. i tend to take extreme measures to avoid any type of confrontation, which really impedes on my ability to speak up and be insistant when i should. if nothing else i can always call nursedirect back home and see what they have to say. all i know, is his behavior lately is not normal for him. and kelvin and i are tired. and cole, poor baby, is exhausted too- he has circles under his little red-rimmed eyes and he has baby-bags too... babies shouldn't have bags under their eyes! i'm worried about him, so if anyone has any suggestions, PLEASE leave them in comments!
anyway, cole's growth is great! he's now 19 pounds and 27.5 inches (75th and 80th percentiles, respectively). he's no longer a little bouncy ball, all short and fat! now he's averaging out... and still bouncy. that's his favorite activity now, bouncing on whatever you happen to stand him on. he's even getting the hang of the johnny-jump-up. this morning i put him in it so i could take my shower, and somehow he got himself sitting a but cock-eyed, so when he went to bounce, both legs were going, but one was sort of angled out and the other was doing all the bouncing; he was bouncing in a circle with his one leg kicking out to the side....it was like a really funny hoedown dance or something! i did get the camcorder to catch it. what a silly boy!
not much else is new here- no pics today, since we've been on the go since early this a.m. and didn't have a chance to snap anything. guess that's ok...he looks the same today as he did yesterday. we did get some pretty asian-inspired fabric from walmart that i'm going to sue for a sling for cole, one of those really long wrap-it-yourself deals. since he wants to be held all the time and the snugli get uncomfortable for long periods of time, i figure i'll try a wrap sling and that way, it can expand with him. it's definitely more comfortable... i just have to get a sewing kit to finish it off and viola!
Best of 2017
8 years ago
3 comments:
Hey Lindsay...sorry to hear you had no luck with your doctor. His nighttime sleep sounds about right on for how our girls were at 6 months old, but they did nap longer than 1 hour total during the day. Would he sleep better somewhere other than his pack n play? Madi slept in her swing for the first 3 or 4 months of life...the only way I could get her to stay sleeping for longer than a second. Megan slept with us until about 4 months of age also, because that is the only way she would sleep. (I had to have my arms wrapped around her too, because that made her think she was still being held). When they're this little, I suggest doing whatever works. Megan was 15-ish months before she slept thru the night and Madi was about 13-14 months before she did. Kids are so different though. Would a sound/noise machine make Cole sleep better during the day? That works for my friend's little girl. Hope something works for you!!
I'm so sorry to hear Cole isn't sleeping, which in turns means mommy's not either. I would agree with Melissa. Ally spent a lot of time in her swing when she was younger. She also didn't actually sleep through the night until she was at least 10 months, and even then she would still wake up a couple times a week. I can say now she's sleeping through the night. I will hear her wake up a little fuss and but I usually leave her until it gets "serious" and she most of the time goes back to sleep with in a minute or two. It wasn't until I weaned her off the bottle she did sleep through the night. I wish I had a suggestion. I would try music or sound machine like Melissa said. We have a CD player in Allys room that plays classical CD's we got her, and if it's not on now, she knows it and doesn't settle down until it's on. If you want I can have Matt burn copies and send them down to you. Or bring them when we come.
About the numbing concoction. I can't see why it wouldn't work for Cole's gums. Him and Ally are the same weight so I couldn't see why not. But I would try Baby Oragel or baby Anbesol first. Then resort to the concoction, b/c the Benadryl will make him drowsy. That's why we only gave it to Ally at bed time. But I gave it to her once yesterday and she seemed ok, so I don't know. But what you will need is Baby Benadryl and Maalox. You need to take a 1/2 tsp. of each and mix it together in a dish, then pull it back up in a syringe and spray it in his mouth. We were actually told to put it on Ally's sore on her mouth as well and it seemed to help her. (My fingers are still crossed) I would probably check with your Dr. just to make sure it's not going to hurt him, he is 5 months younger than Ally. But I think the weight is more of the issue. Well I hope something and works. Also for his teeth you could try a cold wash cloth also. Let me know how it goes. Hugs!
Hi Lindsay, I hope you guys are doing well down there! I'm not sure what infant ger is, but Taylor didn't sleep through the night until I weaned her at 16 months! She took woke up a minimum of 2 times a night until then, but I'd say she probably still got more than 5 hours of sleep. The hylands teething tablets from walmart worked for taylor's first teeth, then motrin was the key!
Post a Comment